Rear Window Summarizer

How is Hitchcock telling the story of the movie in just one long panning shot?

In the film Rear Window by Alfred Hitchcock, he uses this one panning shot almost as a foreshadowing to the rest of the movie. After watching this film, as a viewer I am able to see and hear things in the original panning shot that enables me to understand how Hitchcock summarizes the whole movie through the first shot. We can hear mysterious music which answers the question of what genre this film is. Also, he uses birds chirping and other background noise to indicate that they are in a neighborhood. This is a perfect intro as it sets the scene for the rest of the film. Also, the viewer sees all the main characters that the man looks at throughout the whole film. This is also a great introduction to the dynamic of how this specific neighborhood works. Overall, Hitchcock tells the story of the movie through this initial panning shot by introducing characters and using music to set the tone of the rest of the film. 





I liked this analysis of Hitchcock's film, Rear Window, because it provided me with a different view on this movie and the directors thoughts. Also, I thought it was cool how this movie was somewhat influenced by Psycho. 

Personal Thoughts
At first I did not really think anything of this scene but now I see it in a completely different light. Hitchcock's use of the panning shot to capture the dynamic of the neighborhood and the use of music to set the tone was genius. The thing I liked the most in this film is that this introduction shot actually summarizes the movie before it essentially has even begun. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Elements and Principles of Design

Critique

The Kuleshov Effect